Thursday, May 21, 2009

Imitate me

"The Great Omission" by Dallas Willard ends with the following paragraph:

"All that is needed from us to change things - whether in the church or in the world - is sustained apprenticeship of individuals to Jesus, the Savior of the world so loved by God. Our directions "as we go" are clear: to be disciples - apprentices - of Jesus in Kingdom living and by our life and words as his apprentices to witness, to bring others to know and long for the life that is in us through confidence in him. It's all true. It works. It is accessible to anyone. And there is nothing in the world to compare. That's all."

How serious do we take the call to disipleship; to becoming an apprentice of Jesus? When I became a Christian in the year 2000 it truly was a radical shift in my life. I was fully aware that I was going against everything my culture and environment was telling me... but soon the depth of what being an apprentice of Jesus meant to me faded. I remaind an apprentice of this world more than an apprentice of Christ.

In sharing the life of Christ-disipleship with uni students here in Hong Kong I am consistantly reminded of this experience. Yesterday I had dinner with a student from the Mainland who became a believer just two months ago. As we shared life his deep desire for whole life transformation was obvious, but at the same time the challanges are starting. His parents and friends challange his new-found faith...reminding him that it is more important to study hard, get a good job and have a lot of money. It's ok to "have a religion" - just don't make it a part of your life that actually challanges what is "REALLY important".

...but I think it is not only the "world out there" that challanges true discipleship. It is also the way we - the believers - offer interpretations of disipleship. Looking back at my own experience this is a common picture of disicpleship I have been offered: go to church on Sunday, maybe a small group during the week, read the Bible and pray on your own...

Here is the punchline... If you were asked how to be a Christian disciple, would you be comfortable to say: "Imitate me!"?

One thing these new believers are lacking are examples of true disipleship that show them first hand what life in Christ is all about. Are you a mentor to a younger believer? When he or she imitates you, will he imitate the life of God who became flesh?

No comments:

Post a Comment